Sunday, January 29, 2012

This was supposed to be funnier.

This started out as a goofy poem about the last day of "vacation".  (I put vacation in quotes as traveling with two small children is not a vacation.)  It turned out rather over-dramatic and melancholy.  But, I made a deal with myself to publish what I write daily, no matter how crummy...so TA DA!

Last full day in BC,
Tomorrow I will go
To Alberta, where I live,
And its icy frozen snow.

My heart is torn in two, it seems,
One half here abides.
Parents, lake and mountains,
Wishes here we could reside.

When I arrive, by plane or car,
I feel it in my bones.
My spirit and the land connect,
I know that I am home.

But instead, I've built a life
1000 kilometres away
I married an Alberta boy,
And there he'd like to stay.

I have a house and family there,
My boys have lots of kin.
I've made my home, and embraced the life,
I know that I fit in.

I love the life I have conceived,
My friends and neighbourhood.
I am blessed in so many ways,
My life there is good.

And yet...as my plane leaves the ground
My heart will heavy weigh.
I know that my bones will ache.
I know my soul will yearn to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment