Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lunch Sonnet

This time I tried to get the 10 syllables per line as per the definition: A Shakespearean, or English, sonnet consists of 14 lines, each line containing ten syllables and written in iambic pentameter, in which a pattern of an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable is repeated five times. The rhyme scheme in a Shakespearean sonnet is a-b-a-b, c-d-c-d, e-f-e-f, g-g; the last two lines are a rhyming couplet. I don't think I quite got the iambic pentameter, though.


A checkered tablecloth and china plates
On a small table to seat two friends good;
Sumptuous feast in the kitchen awaits
A decision made, an order of food.

Buttered warm, flaky rolls; soup orgasmic.
Greek salad with ample mild feta cheese.
Beef souvlaki, tzaziki fantastic,
Rice pilaf for any palate to please.

No high-pitched voices, nor noses snotty,
No tiny faces with applesauce smeared,
No talk of pee and poop on the potty,
No boisterous babbling, nor antics weird.

Thank you was expressed to my mom a bunch
For enabling me my grown-up lunch.

By the way, this lunch was amazing.  I might have to write another poem just about the soup alone.

2 comments:

  1. it was a delicious lunch!!!!

    and it was lovely to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely to see you! And BEST LUNCH EVER.

    ReplyDelete