Sunday, January 15, 2012

How 2011 Sucked.

This one is long, and is my first draft.  I have not proof-read or edited, so there may be errors.  It was hard enough to write.  There may be a final draft in the future, or this may be the only purge.  All these things actually happened to me in 2011.  I did leave out the 3 other instances of the stomach flu, one when I was 40 weeks pregnant, just my 18 month old got it (try changing crib sheets while that pregnant), and one episode in Nov. and one in Dec.  
Seriously, this year bit.

I don't want to sound
Rude, mean or crass,
But two thousand and eleven,
Sucked major ass.

37 weeks pregnant,
Too far along to fly,
I get a phone call
That my Grandpa might die.

April 20th was one good day,
Filled with lots of joy,
I finally gave birth
To a healthy, happy boy.

April 28th,
My sister calls and picks a fight,
She wants to come see Grandpa
And is trying to book a flight.

That evening, the news comes.
Grandpa is no more.
He has passed away
At the age of ninety-four.

The service was held in May,
On the day twenty-two,
The day before I flew down,
My older son got the flu.

I left a barfing 18-month old
At home with his dad
And flew with my one month old
While feeling rather sad.

The service was beautiful,
With relatives to see,
But as I got home exhausted,
The flu also struck me!

My husband was also sick,
And my sister came to stay,
She was to fly back to England,
On the next Friday.

Instead, drama and chaos!
Rather than returning,
To her husband of 8 short months,
Her marriage she was spurning.

We moved her out of our small house,
She moved in with an ex.
We thought we had a breather now,
Oh but what comes next?

June 24th, I am home
And at naptime hear a thumping,
From the basement, but just think
The cats are maybe bumping.

My husband comes home from work,
I take older son outside,
I come back in and he has to tell me,
That my one cat has died.

Bailey was only 13,
His death was quite a blow,
We do not know why he died,
And will probably never know.

My baby boys are wonderful,
And they brings me cheer,
They are my little rays of light,
In this crapfest of a year. 

Oh but wait, there's more!
The year is only halfway through.
And as you will soon see,
The sorrows did accrue.

The year before, an ultrasound,
During my pregnancy,
Discovered a dermoid cyst
On my right ovary.

The cyst was 7 cm,
And I opted to wait,
Until my baby had been born
Before my surgery date. 

They tried to book my surgery,
For the 18th of July,
But my baby was too little,
So that wasn't going to fly.

I was scared of the procedure,
Never had surgery abdominal,
And I was afraid the pain and recovery,
Would be quite abominable.

My new date was set
For October twenty-one.
I cannot say the experience,
Was really super fun.

I made it through the surgery,
Had a good recovery.
So I took the boys to see my parents,
In lovely BC.

The last full day, a Wednesday,
November twenty-three,
7:50 AM, a phone call
And it's my husband for me?

I ask him why he's calling
I joke with him "Who died?"
And when he gives the answer,
Something broke inside.

The answer was my father,
His age was sixty years,
And I began grieving,
Shedding lots of tears.

Sorrow and confusion,
It also was apparent,
There was anger over him cheating my boys
Out of a grandparent.

Many days of darkness,
But I began to fight,
I had to be here for my kids,
My shining beams of light.

So, 2011,
Thank you for my son.
He is wonderous and precious,
But I am glad you're done.

Kiss my ass, you stupid year.
I'm happy you are through.
A better year will be this one.
Two thousand, ten plus two.

No comments:

Post a Comment